The Voyages of Brendan

The Travel of Journey of Joshua T. Harvey, World Traveler, in honor of St. Brendan the Navigator

6.11.2006

Dimanche: A Post-Script

I've expressed how many of my readings have dovetailed together with what I have been observing. I have posted many of these for others to read.

Today I came across some quotes in my book by Richard Rohr that deal with the nature of money as an illusion. I will not belabor the point here but, suffice it to say, it dealt a lot with the conversations that Ted and I, and now Helene as well, are having about liberation theology.
I have already posted how some of the Taoist points have fit together with my experience, as well as the novel I completed today.

None of these specific quotes are important in and of themselves, but I have been wondering, having noticed such synchronicity, how I am to go about becoming these spiritual lessons I have been observing, not just noticing and believing. I would hate to come from Haiti having grown little and eaten too much, both physically and spiritually.

I brought to mind one other point which John of the Cross had made in my daily readings a few nights ago. Basically, St. John wrote that we become enlightened (and of course the choice of such Buddhistic terminology is fascinating to me) only when someone looks at us. I have been struggling with what this means, exactly. It is a poetic notion he is describing, so I have not quite unlocked it for myself yet. Of course, the ultimate gaze for him is the gaze of God, the gaze that shines light on each person as an individual.

As I sat here, worrying about how I was going to internalize these lessons, make them real and bear fruit, listen to them and embody them--again, become them, I suddenly thought I should stop worrying at let this process work itself out. Becoming is exactly that: being-coming. And to whom is it coming but each of us? It is hard to say what this being-that-is-coming is, but we will begin to know only when we realize that the mystery of existence remains such so that we have to keep ourselves open to it, beyond dogma and doctrine, beyond human understandings (and human understanding of infinite and divine revelations). We cannot truly know this being-coming because we are part of it, and it of us (we rest in the Father, and He in us), so we merely leave our eyes open.

From where does this being-coming alight? It alights from the very divine gaze about which St. John speaks. It comes to us--it is the gaze of God which is Grace itself; it is Grace that is the gaze of God Himself.

And this, as I am open to it now, is enlightenment: the alighting gaze of God, the being which is coming to us at every moment, to give light to our spiritual pathway when we open our eyes to its arriving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home